Hello, H-town, how I've missed you! It's so good to be back. Ruggles' sweet potato fries, 288, the light rail, West U. These city limits hold the highest heights and the deepest depths of my life. Driving the streets and highways feels just plain good, like home. Take Buffalo Speedway out to Holcomb, and you end up at my first place in Houston, with Jen. I spent so many days by that pool with my anatomy and ID syllabi. Take Stella Link north from 610, and you'll find yourself at the church where Nick and I got married. Look west on 288 as you head to Pearland, and you'll see our first apartment. Hop on the light rail into the med center and see my successors riding up to the Taub, short white coat pockets bursting with knowledge.
I often miss Houston. I also often miss that short white coat and the correspondingly short expectations of responsibility. Even more I miss the dear friends I've left there. Some days it's hard not to confuse the first with the latter two. Do I really want to come back to Houston for fellowship? Or is it more accurate that I want to return to that time in my life? Ay, there's the rub. But how light it feels to shirk the anxiety and loneliness that seem to be my only constant companions these days (except for you, honey!) and go home for a little while. I can't quite explain how it seems like I never left. Who knows? Maybe I'll be back before you know it.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment