Monday, December 21, 2009

Feels like home

I'm on call today and have a little lull, which is the perfect opportunity to tell you this story.
The fellow called me with a mundane elective admission, and she told me, almost apologetically, that this man is primarily Spanish-speaking. Those of you who know me know that I once upon a time spoke excellent Spanish, but I now consider my vocabulary sub-par. I trotted downstairs and completed my interview and exam. For a few minutes, you would have thought I was back at the Taub; this too-familiar encounter made me miss Texas even more than usual today. I thanked my patient for his patience with my almost-decrepit Spanish, and he told me he speaks a little English but that he wishes he could practice more. I informed him I would be happy to speak English with him to help him practice.
He said, "But then how can I help you practice your Spanish?"

No comments:

Post a Comment