Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Right at home and overwhelmed

Oh. My. Goodness. Well, I've landed in Houston. The Scholzes are back together again. So now it's boxes and dishes and curtains. And oh yeah, my new job. I started orientation this week. My department invited us to dinner with the program director and the fellows for a laid-back, informal orientation tonight. I think the point was to put us more at ease, but this is simply not possible.

Old fellow: Maybe you guys don't even need this. You're all so calm. I was freaking out last year.
Me: Oh no, we are. Fake it 'til you make it.
Other new fellow: Yeah. It's my poker face.

I know, I know. Life as a rheum fellow doesn't really sound that bad. Rare weekends, no nights, no admissions, etc. But that doesn't mean I'm not stressed out about some resident calling me to ask about giant pulse doses of steroids and then reporting back to his attending that "the rheum fellow said _____." Eek!
But I will say that Houston already feels like home again. Almost as if everyone sat around holding their collective breath while we were gone, waiting for us to come back. Even the crazy drivers are pleasantly familiar. I heart 288. And Prego. And Ruggles. And the Galleria. And most of all, HEB. Happy sigh.
OK. Time for me to hit the sack. Got a big, early day tomorrow. It's badge and parking day.

No comments:

Post a Comment