Saturday, September 15, 2012

A new endeavor

Many of you were at the baby sprinkle for Kristen Nuckols today. My apologies because if so, you've already seen this. But I'm just so darn proud of my very first fondant-decorated cake.



I promise the top layer looked even in real life. Now I can't take all the credit. Or even half the credit really. I served mostly as Creative Director with a cameo appearance as sous chef for the decorating. Executive Chef Auntie Laurie did all the heavy lifting, ie frosting and covering the cakes. Speaking of heavy lifting, this tiered cake business isn't easy. That thing weighed several pounds. And it took a long time to make. Probably 8 or 10 man hours just for a cake to serve 20. And that's sans piping, sculpting, or really anything fancy. I mean, I used a hairspray lid as my circle cutter. That's a low-budget operation if I ever saw one. Now I know why fancy wedding cakes to serve 200 cost so darn much. I shall stop judging all the over-priced bakeries.
Besides, after a couple more fondant lessons from Chef Auntie Laurie, I won't need the over-priced bakery. I'll be able to make it myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment