So I've started moonlighting at the county hospital. Basically, I work a 12-hour shift doing the exact same work I did in residency. "But, Bethie," you say. "I thought you hated hospital work?" You are correct, dear friend, but I have cardiology dreams on a rheumatology salary. So off to the hospital I go. One story from a day shift today, and another from last night's night shift coming soon.
There are 3 hospitalists on during the day. One of them left his hospital cell phone sitting on the desk next to me one morning, shortly after which multiple people tried calling. So he and I then played phone tag on our real cell phones (which get horrible reception in the hospital). I walked up to the clerk on the nursing unit where I thought he'd be and asked if they'd seen Dr. Smith recently. The clerk replied that he'd just gone down the hall that-a-way.
I eventually found Dr. Smith and returned his hospital phone to him. He laughed as he told me that he'd walked up to the same clerk a few minutes later, when the clerk informed him:
"Your intern is looking for you."
Intern. Hmphh. I ain't nobody's intern. Or maybe I should take it as a compliment that I still look young-ish enough to pass for an intern.
The end.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment