I took E on a quick grocery run the other night. Incidentally, she was wearing her pj's, rainboots, and her work-out hoodie, which is a fashion only those under 5 can pull off. But back to my story. Oh, just kidding. I have to preface my story with this story:
E looooves Adele. I mean she's a real deal fan. Her favorite songs are The Rumor Song (Rumor Has It), Hello, and Water Under the Bridge. As I got the new Adele album for Christmas, we've been playing it pretty much non-stop in the car.
E: Mommy, can I have Adele singing Water Under the Bridge please?
Me: Yep, you certainly may. I like that one, too.
E: Mommy, can we go to Adele's house sometime? I want to hear her sing her songs.
Me: Um, Adele lives kinda far away. And we don't know her; she's a stranger. We don't go to strangers' houses.
E: No. Adele is not a stranger. We know her name.* So we can go to her house. And she can be my auntie.
Me: Well maybe we could right her a letter and tell her those things.
E: No. I don't want to write a letter. I want to go to her house and hear her sing her songs.
OK, so now that you know that here's this. We're in the car on our way to the grocery store.
E: Mommy, can I have Adele singing Water Under the Bridge please?
Me: Sure thing, kid. (I sing along.)
E: No, Mommy! You don't sing! You are NOT Adele.
I guess it's a good thing I have a well-paying day job that in no way depends on the quality of my vocal performance.
*I'm pretty sure daycare has defined a stranger as someone whose name you don't know. Not sure, but she frequently uses this criteria. Also, her grammar and enunciation has improved dramatically over the last few months, so I'm cutting back on the toddler-speaking typing.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment