I know it's been a few weeks since I posted, but this one's worth the wait!
Every med student who rotates on service with me learns to live by my four pillars of medicine, which also apply quite well to life in general. Today, you lucky, chosen souls, I share them with you...
1) Fake it 'til you make it. I can't entirely take credit for this one. I owe this motivating pearl to my high school band director. People often misinterpret this one; I don't intend for you to lie or attempt procedures for which you are not qualified. I simply mean to say that if you act confident, people will have confidence in you, which in my opinion dramatically impacts what you actually are able to do.
2) Never guess, look it up. I have Mom to thank for this one, who passed it to me from her elementary school spelling club. (I know, my mom is cooler than your mom.) You won't regret going back to double-check a dose or side effect before you order a med, but I bet we can all think of a time that made us regret not doing so. You also significantly decrease the risk of making yourself look like a horse's hiney when you verify the op note (record of procedure) or MRA (medication administration record) before yelling at the surgery resident or nurse. Frequent employment of this principle also obviates the need for Pillar #1.
That's enough wisdom for today. Tune in next time for the life rules #3-4.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment