Monday, June 7, 2010

Show me the money

Tonight I Scoville. Did I hear a "huh?"


Scoville (sko'-vul):
1) n. locally famous former physician at Vanderbilt
2) n. moonlight shift for overnight overflow and private attending admissions
3) v. act of admitting the aforementioned patients at a frequently brutal and overwhelming pace

The things I won't do for money. Now that I have taken Step 3 and acquired my own personal physician license, I can take my hard-earned free nights and weekends and sell my doctor skills to the highest bidder. Scoville-ing is the only in-house (meaning at Vanderbilt) moonlighting for medicine residents. (Moonlighting outside Vanderbilt involves getting your own malpractice insurance, which is just not gonna happen.)

This promotion, so to speak, is actually more a demotion. Life reverts to that of an intern, running cross-cover and writing endless H&Ps. But at a per capita fee, bring it on! As of 7pm tonight, give me the tired, the poor, the wretched refuse of the ER's teeming shore.

I can only hope that tomorrow finds me battle-weary and oh so tired. Who needs sleep when you can Scoville for cash money?

No comments:

Post a Comment