Thursday, June 3, 2010

Making the grade

"Independent study" is a euphemism for freebie afternoon off while on clinic rotations. I could spend the time studying medicine, which I sometimes in fact do. But not today. Nope, I spent this smoldering June afternoon educating other parts of my brain. Like the parts responsible for cooking.
My afternoon of course started with a preparatory work-out, so that I could consider my anticipated caloric over consumption to be "deserved." I then mosied through the grocery store, scratching items off my list. I even got 2 extra bags of chocolate chips after I found a stray coupon (dated to expire tomorrow!) strategically perched over the milk chocolate morsels. Kinda like my own personal culinary Secret Santa. Thanks, anonymous neighbor! But I digress, as I so frequently do.
Dinner was root beer can chicken and squash croquettes from June's Cooking Light, which were fair and good respectively. Since Nick and I both prefer white meat, I think I might try the root beer glaze on grilled bone-in chicken breasts next time rather than the whole chicken on a can ordeal. The croquettes were pretty easy, and I think the recipe would work well with other veggies, too. Like zucchini. But let's get to the point.
Dessert.
For when you can't decide between cookies and brownies, I introduce to you the Chocolate Truffle Cookie. Dee-lish. Cookie on the outside, brownie on the inside. They're like the mullet of the chocolate world. Don't be dismayed when the dough looks like brownie batter before chilling. It firms nicely into fudgy, truffly goodness. Heck, I could make this with Egg Beaters and eat it straight up out of the bowl. Nick and I are both gloriously sick, nauseated and practically in chocolate coma.
OK. No more typing. Gotta go sleep this off. But oh, it is worth the pain and suffering, my friends.
Hasta.

1 comment:

  1. Let's just go ahead and save that one to the recipe box...

    ReplyDelete