Monday, May 31, 2010

I'll take Memorial Day for 100, Alex

I woke up Thursday night to my text message alert. Who on earth is texting me? Oh, if only it were a wrong-number-drunk-dialer.
Our back-up call system is called "Jeopardy." As in, your plans are in jeopardy. And for a span of 7 days, I am in jeopardy. That late-night page meant that instead of frolicking through heme clinic like I've been doing for the last week, I would spend Friday admitting patients. To cardiology. Boo. Luckily the intern and med student are rock stars, so I did very little in the way of supervision, unless frequent snacking counts for more than I think it does.
I traded my Saturday jeopardy, so I spent the day shopping.
I held my breath all day Sunday but made it through unscathed.
Monday, Memorial Day, has not been so kind. I sit, even now, in VA triage. I guess Vanderbilt thought marrying a veteran wasn't enough; I need to show my appreciation for military service by working the ER here at the Va Spa today. The count so far is two rashes and a "my brother poked me in the eye." I kid not. I never kid about neither rashes nor eye pokings.
I wonder what joys Tuesday will hold. Maybe a daily double is waiting in the wings.
But seriously, thank you to all the vets for your service. And seriously, tell your brothers not to poke you in the eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment