Friday, May 21, 2010

My kind of town

I find myself unexpectedly in Chicago today. I consider myself a Texan to the core, but the Windy City holds a special place in my heart. You can have New York, arrogant as a first-born among American cities accustomed to recognition and easy success. And LA, too, the spoiled youngest child, full of frivolity and excess. Give me Chicago, a Midwestern bastion of the American dream, a city content with earning every inch of its impressive height and breadth through its own hard work and industry.
And, oh, the food. Houston, you have some competition out there after all.
For as long as I can remember, my family's trips to Chicago have revolved around food. By this I specifically mean a carefully calculated tour de force of all my dad and uncle's favorite spots from their childhood. I now offer to you, Cyber Friends, the cumulative food knowledge of three generations of Zarnows. Are you ready?

Carson's: BBQ at its best, sloppy and dripping with sauce. None of this Tennessee dry rub(bish). Don't even bother looking at the menu; go straight for the baby backs and au gratin potatoes.
Poochie's: Kosher beef hot dogs. Just don't let them see you put ketchup on it.
Walker Brothers Pancake House: Looks a little dinky at first glance, but you'll think differently after your first bite of the apple pancake, a delicious concoction of a Dutch baby topped with glazed cinnamon apples.
Al's Italian Beef: Perfect for when you're not in the mood for a hot dog, as if that could ever happen.
Pizzeria Uno: Put the Gino's East down slowly, walk away, and no one gets hurt. Uno's wins, greasy hands down. If it's too busy, head one block over to Due.
Lawry's the Prime Rib: Yes, like the spice company. Not vegetarian friendly. The menu consists of prime rib or prime rib with lobster. I'm still trying to recreate their creamed corn.
Garrett's Popcorn: Follow your nose down Michigan Avenue. Shopping is hungry work; you'll need a snack. Odd as it sounds, try the combo of mixed cheese and caramel corn.
Fannie Mae Candy: Get two boxes. One for you and one for someone you love. Or one for you now and one for you later. I don't judge.

And that's the knowledge bomb for today, kiddos. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment