Monday, May 3, 2010

Singin' in the rain

So you may have heard that we got a little rain in Nashville this weekend, to the tune of a record 13.75" over 48 hours. I spent Saturday on call, mostly oblivious to the brewing city-wide disaster. I'd heard the rumors of flash flood and tornado warnings, but in that moment I didn't mind at all since the rough weather resulted in only 5 of a potential 9 admissions.
Then Sunday came, and all I wanted to do was go home. I had paid my Team Failure dues and was ready to play with my puppies, hug my honey, and above all bake something to celebrate switching to clinics. But the rain had other plans. Nick informed me he was stranded in and I was barricaded out of our neighborhood since every possible route was flooded or mudslided. So there I was, all dressed up with nowhere to go except the one place I really, really did not want to be. Then a wonderful co-resident offered to let me stay at her place right by the hospital Sunday night while she was on call. So Nick turned on his phone every 4 hours (to save the battery since the power was out), and I gave him the latest weather update. I also made a few panicked phone calls to all of you, and I thank you for your comforting words.
For anyone who doubts, let me state right now that God does indeed answer prayer. Forecasters predicted an additional 6" of rainfall Sunday night, which would have crested the rise in our backyard and flooded our basement. But then the forecast changed to 3-6" followed by a further downgrade to 1-3." And then, lo and behold, we hardly got sprinkled on that whole night. Morning brought the wonderful realization that the water in our yard had crested without flooding our home. I spent most of Sunday wishing I were home with Nick, but in retrospect I'm glad the Lord had other plans. Sitting on our deck watching the water rise would have sent me straight into panic mode, and my freaking out may have driven Nick up the wall. He already had enough to handle, what with Izzy hiding in the bathtub and Jonesy barking at the thunder.
At least it was all downhill from there.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment