Monday morning found me back at the hospital for lack of options, which is particularly sad if you know that Monday was supposed to be my day off. But there I was, sitting around still in my scrubs. At least they were clean; thanks, Christen! We had our next small miracle when Nick discovered one of the roads from our neighborhood was passable. So I bolted from clinic and helped him pack up our unfortunately thawed out frozen goods, which we hauled to a friend's house and stuck in her freezer. We celebrated the triumphant non-flooding of our house with a fajita dinner (yum, HEB!). Nick and I decided to decline the kind offer of a spare bedroom so as not to leave the dogs alone overnight. We awoke sometime in the night to a loud electric beeping followed by a guttural roar (think Braveheart or Gladiator) and then raucous cheering up and down the street. I was so half-asleep and dazed that I went promptly back to sleep after Nick exclaimed, "The power is back!"
I made it to work Tuesday morning looking much more like myself in a pencil skirt and heels, and life pretty much felt like back to normal. The internet and cable even came back that evening. But while my life was miraculously untouched, so many others were not spared. Footage of standing water loops continuously on local and national news; piles of carpet, furniture, and stuffed garbage bags line the curb of my street and testify to the devastation of a city. This fleeting glimpse of such a powerful storm gives me some insight to how Noah's contemporaries must have felt. How petrifying to watch the entire world wash away! How merciful and good the Lord is to promise never again. I also understand why the Old Testament Israelites erected monuments after the Lord gave a victory or showed his mighty hand. Father, may I always remember how on this day you spared my family. Amen.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment