Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Survey says...

I've mentioned how I volunteered to give some med student lectures, which makes for great teaching opportunities for me and more practical, on-their-level teaching for the students. But I have two problems in this situation.
1) I can't not volunteer myself for things.
It isn't even that I can't say no; I just sign up before I'm even asked! Like 4 of the 10 med student lectures. And the ACP poster. And moonlighting. And the fibromyalgia paper. Wait, make that two fibromyalgia papers. Get the picture? Nick tells me I have no one to blame but myself.
2) I love the sound of my own voice.
Just ask Nick. Or anyone who's ever lived with me for that matter.
So when the resident heading up this little project kept e-mailing out week after week asking for volunteers because she couldn't fill the spots, I just kept signing up. It was fun, but I admit that I was a little afraid of the heckling that was sure to come on the students' course evaluations. I mean, I know they have no bearing on my graduation or matching or really anything frankly, but I couldn't help being anxious to know what they'd say about me since I really invested myself in this. And you know what...They liked me! They really liked me! I averaged 4.66/5, which is 0.2 above the average average. Big deal, right? And med students can be brutal - I mean, they sit in a lot of lectures and take out their bored frustration on those dumb evals. I know, I've been there. Here's my favorite comment: "Beth Scholz and [other resident] in particular were great teachers."
No, I take that back. My favorite was the comment about all these lectures they have to go to are a bit excessive. I won't quote to protect anonymity (as if anyone cares), but that is nearly verbatim. Um, I'm sorry. Did you not understand the title "med student"? It's kinda what you do. Go to lectures. And read. And then go to more lecture. And write notes. And do a rectal exam before you go back to lecture.
Whew, I can't even tell you how glad no one can ever make me do that again. Be a med student, that is. I've already signed up for the next round of teaching. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment