Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ego un-boost

Sorry, but this post involves babies peripherally and might be me fishing for compliments in a very thinly veiled manner.
I went to the grocery sans Elle so I could be more efficient (ah, the good ol' days). In the check-out line, the cashier held up the item she was scanning and asked...

Clerk: Do you know what you're having yet?
Me: Huh? Does she mean for dinner?
Clerk: What you're having? You're pregnant, right?
Me: I'm not pregnant. I already had a baby.
[very uncomfortable silence]

I mean, do I really still look pregnant? I know my stomach isn't flat yet, but I didn't think the pooch was that big. I'm not back in my skinny day clothes (all you ladies know what those are, right?), but I'm wearing all regular clothes. The maternity stuff has been banished to the back of the closet.
I relayed my tale and subsequent mortification to Nick immediately upon arriving home. His indignation was less than I was hoping for. He did throw me the bone that he definitely never would  have asked a woman of my current proportions about being pregnant. But he did try and defend the poor girl who was just trying to be nice (blah ,blah) and said that maybe I could be really early and she was just confused. Bah humbug.
At least the experience gave me motivation to skip dessert today.

No comments:

Post a Comment