Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Me and King Solomon

What do I have in common with the smartest man ever to walk the earth? Apart from our obvious shared state of intellectual gigantism, we both know too well that there is nothing new under the sun.
I got a call today to see a patient with a very rare joint condition. A condition that, believe it or not, doesn't respond to steroids. In fact, it doesn't respond to any of my parlour-trick immunosuppressants. Why? Because it isn't an autoimmune disease. It has always been and forever will be an orthopedic surgeon's problem, not mine. But I had to see the patient. Today. For a problem he's had since the early 1990s. A problem that, as mentioned, I can't fix. Ever.

But see him I did. And he already knew everything I told him. I guess once you've been through nearly two dozen ortho procedures, you get wise about your disease. So that makes three of us in the too-smart-for-everyone-else club.

Please see me for an application if you dare to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment