Nick likes "different" in lots of places. Movies. Books. Even cars. "It was different. I liked it." Oh, how often I hear those words. Except for when it comes to food. The same ol' same ol' stuff appeals to his less-than-delicate culinary sensibilities. I'm telling you, if that boy could eat a steak with a twice-baked potato and chocolate cake every night for dinner for the rest of his life, he'd die a happy man. "Variety" would be switching it up for a grilled hamburger, cheese fries, and brownies. Adventurous, right?
I am the categorical opposite. I hate most change simply because it's different. I like to re-read my favorite books and watch my favorite movies over and over. Even my clothes - as much as I love shiny new things, I love the stuff in my closet and lament when something gets ruined to the point of un-wearability. But food! Oh, give me something different every day! I rarely make the same recipe twice, given my druthers.
This can occasionally result in the slightest marital discord. I haven't made this recipe yet, but I can already tell you how the conversation will go.
Me: Dinner tonight is gonna be cider-brined pork chops with butternut squash and apple tartin.
Nick: A tar-what?
Me: A tartin.
Nick: Like I said, a tar-what?
Me: Sigh. A tartin. Kind of a savory upside-down cake.
Nick: Sounds fancy. Too fancy.
Me: I think it sounds good.
Nick: Why you gotta go and change it up all the time? What's wrong with hamburgers?
Me: We just had hamburgers.
Nick: Last month.
Me: I like to try different recipes.
Nick: I know. And I like to eat hamburgers.
Me: Well, we can have hamburgers some other time.
Nick: You always say that. And then we never do.
Me: Well, always having hamburgers is boring.
Nick: Nuh-uh. It's good.
Me: Well, I'm having pork chops and squash tartin for dinner. You can have whatever you want.
Nick: Fine. I'll eat your tar-whatever-it-is.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment