Saturday, June 30, 2012

Privileged information

I got a consult today on a woman who was previously diagnosed with lupus. The admitting doctor told me she's seen a rheumatologist "for a long time" and is certain that rheumatologist could tell me all about her lupus.

Well, folks, truth be told this woman has seen a rheumatologist one time. Two days ago. So no, that person couldn't tell me all about her. I even go so far as to try calling the other facility, but of course no one's in on Saturday.

I later try to tell the admitting doctor (who clearly never tried calling the other rheumatologist) that while I suspect she does in fact have lupus, I need more information. She interrupts and tells me she's just certain that if I talked to that rheumatologist I could.... Nope. That didn't work. I ask her to try calling back later. She then asks me to keep trying to call. Apparently I'm part of a members' only club wherein we don't talk to non-rheumatologists.

Or maybe it's just that no one wants to admit that he doesn't understand anything we say because it's all so insanely brilliant.

Or maybe it's just plain laziness.

Nah, we've got a secret club. Butter me up, and maybe I'll teach you the secret handshake.

No comments:

Post a Comment