Thursday, January 24, 2013

The 30 day challenge

So the Christian radio station in Houston does this campaign every January, encouraging people to listen only to Christian music (ie, their station) for a month. You know... good stuff in, good stuff out and all that jazz. I've always ignored it, but this year I thought maybe I should give it a whirl. Something about the looming idea of Elle repeating everything I say has that effect on me.
With that background in mind, picture me in my car yesterday, at a standstill on the highway amidst dense fog and thousands of other commuters. Pardon all the capital letters and excessive punctuation, but I have no other means to adequately convey my emotions via type.

Traffic girl: Well, there's significant fog this morning, limiting visibility to zero in some places. [tone of astonished wonder]
Me: I know.
TG: No incidents to report, but there's some major slow downs because of that fog. So pack your patience. [you can actually hear her smiling]
Me: Pack your patience, pack your patience. [read again in nasally sarcastic whining tone] OK, I know I should repent of mocking you, but YOU ARE SO NOT HELPFUL RIGHT NOW!!!!
TG: Good job out there avoiding those accidents. Remember, keep your distance from other cars.
Me: What?! And invite everybody out here to cut me off? I don't think so.
TG: And slow down your speeds.
Me: IT ISN'T POSSIBLE TO GO ANY SLOWER THAN STOPPED!!! I don't want to go slower; I want to go FASTER!!
TG: We'll do another update on traffic in 15 minutes.
Me: You are SO annoying. I don't want to hear from you anymore.

Somehow I don't think that's the effect for which the well-meaning souls at the radio station were aiming. But I'm sticking it out, even though it meant listening to her FOUR TIMES on the way to work yesterday. I can't wait for February 1.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious. I can totally hear that, especially since I've been listening to the same station!

    ReplyDelete