Sunday, January 20, 2013

The waiting game

I'm on call this weekend. Boo. It really isn't that bad; I mean, it's nothing like being on call in residency. I just sit at home with the pager and only come in if there's a new consult. Which means I spend my weekend watching the clock, waiting and wishing and hoping and rationalizing.

OK, 8 am and all is well. So there wasn't anyone who came in overnight they want me to see.

OK, 9 am and all is well. Nobody in the ICU because they always call those early.

OK, 10 am and all is well. But don't get too comfy, Beth. This is the witching hour for consults.

OK, 11 am and all is well. They should all be done with rounds by now, so you should be about in the clear. But still don't get too comfy. Sometimes they get doing other stuff and don't call you until the last minute.

OK, 12 noon and all is well. You should be good. Anything routine can just be seen tomorrow. But ug, what if something rolls into the ICU? Or what if they call you to see that lady on 8N again? No, you just saw her yesterday. You should be good. But what if...

And so I while away the afternoon. I finally settle down about 4:00 and manage to enjoy the rest of my day. That usually entails a trip to the grocery store, DSW, +/-Hobby Lobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment