Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The thrill of my day

Pre-requisite medical knowledge before you read on: When renal failure patients go on dialysis, they get a procedure to prepare an artery and a vein as the portal for dialysis. Essentially, they sew together an artery and a vein in the forearm, which results in a buzzing sensation over the fistula (where the artery and vein connect). We call that buzzing feeling a "thrill."

Now that you know that, I can tell you this. I was in clinic today, and one of my patients happened to have a fistula in her right forearm, which I already knew. As I was examining her hand and wrist, I noted a weird vibration coming from her wrist. I thought, "What on earth?! What is wrong with her wrist?!" Then I remembered her fistula. Duh. It was her thrill.

Me: Ha, I couldn't figure out why your arm was buzzing.
Patient: puzzled look
Me: Then I remembered your fistula. I'd forgotten about it for a second.

She laughed at me. I don't imagine she often forgets that her arm buzzes.

No comments:

Post a Comment