Monday, June 24, 2013

The time I made a promise I didn't want to keep

The other day I was feeding Ellison, and all she wanted was cheese. Which could frankly be any day of the week because that kid loves dairy. But this was a particular day when she'd already eaten all the cheese I'd cut from the block, and I wasn't in the mood to slice more.

Me: Elle, I think you've had enough cheese.
Ellison: Moh! (=more)
Me: No, no. Let's have something else. How about some banana?
Ellison: Moh, moh! (making grabby hands towards the block of cheese)
Me: OK, fine, kid. If you can say the word "cheese," I'll cube some more cheese for you. What d'ya say? Can you even say the word "cheese?" (She never has, so I think I'm safe.)
Ellison: Chis! Chis! (unfortunately, =cheese)
Me: Big sigh. Fine. Fine. I will slice you off some more cheese. But don't think you can make a habit of this, learning to say the word for whatever you want as a way to get it from me.

Fortunately, she hasn't yet learned "chocolate" or "diamonds," so we're safe from utter ruin for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment