Friday, October 11, 2013

Since when is tired back in style?

So this hasn't quite been a week of Mondays, but it's certainly been a week of early days. Early, early days. Way back when, when I was just a young whipper-snapper intern, one of my residents used to roll in for rounds about 15 minutes before the attending showed up. (She could get away with this because the other intern and I had our stuff together.) She told me it was because since intern year she'd implemented a rule that she doesn't wake up before 5:00 am. I remember laughing ruefully, thinking that day would never come for me.
And then it did. Not in residency, and not first year of fellowship. And definitely not right after Elle was born. But sometime last year, I sort of unofficially decided I wouldn't get up before 5:00 am anymore. Because I was too old and too far in my medical training to do that again.
Ha. Then came being an attending. I thought my new boss lady status would earn me a few extra minutes of shut eye, but that just hasn't been the case. So I've been up at 4:30 two days in a row. Bleh. This morning, I pre-rounded super early (before the residents were even there) and actually crossed paths with multiple surgeons. That's how you know you're there too early, if you see surgeons outside the OR. Fortunately, tomorrow is Saturday. So while I still have to go in (just like every single day of this incredibly long 31-day month), at least I have the power to set the time for rounds.
Good night. No really. Good night. I'm getting in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment