Last night I was the ever-so-lucky chosen one to be on call the night before the rotation switch. I would not, however, have missed this for the world. I'd spent my night shopping online, getting Ben and Jerry's, etc. You know, life or death kinda stuff. Then (I kid you not) I got the following page: "I am stuck on the elevator on the 4th floor. Could u please help get me out? This is not a joke." Well of course it's a joke, but I decide to check, just in case. I head downstairs and hear the muffled sounds of pounding fists from inside one of the elevators. Yes, it is my intern. Stuck. I call maintenance, who upon finally arrives informs me that yep, he can open the elevator, but nope he can't. There is a new rule that they cannot open the elevators for trapped passengers. We must call some outside maintenance company, who estimates their representative will arrive in an hour. Are you kidding? It's almost midnight! I yell through the crack that he should fake a code, to which he replies, "I'm having chest pain!" After some haggling, I ultimately told the maintenance man that Dr. ____'s patient is crashing downstairs and needs him right now. This is in fact true, but I decline to mention that I am actually in charge of Dr. ___ and perfectly capable of handling the situation myself. This works, and presto chango, with the twist of an elevator key (who knew they even had those?), my intern is again a free man. The rest of the night was uneventful, but I hear he had a little incident with a blue highlighter and his white coat the next morning. Moral of the story: take the stairs.
And you may be wondering why he bothered calling me rather than using the emergency phone inside the elevator. Well, bless his heart, he did try the phone first. 911 hung up on him.
w for the win
10 years ago
ha ha ha.... I have been in one of *those* elivators!
ReplyDelete