Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Party's Over

I started this month expecting the worst after my demoralizing experience at the VA last year. However, November has overall been good to me. Ward service at the VA is as a general rule cruel and unusual punishment, but my team has made the best of it. For starters, we got the good schedule. I mean, the really good schedule. I won't bore you with the details, but the bottom line is that we got to skip a daytime admission call every weekend this month and on Thanksgiving. But even with fewer patients, the four walls of our 5'x10' team room would feel pretty darn small if we didn't get along so well.
I couldn't have asked for better interns and med students. The best moments of my month: Intern #1 commented on how we smile more than other teams. Intern #2 actually said he had fun on call. We know you have to laugh so you don't cry. By the way, anyone who makes my interns cry will answer to me. As an intern, you work harder than you thought possible, but people rarely pat you on the back for the hundreds of things you do right every single day. They do, however, manage to point out the one or two things you do wrong every once in a while. Having been there, I now try to let my interns know that I see how hard they're trying and appreciate their effort. And you know what? I think I actually made their month a little easier to bear.
Thank you, Lord. It's good to feel that you have placed me where I am and to know my purpose in being here.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think you made their time easier! From what my brother-in-law experienced last year, it seems like the interns get bullied relentlessly by the other residents "just because they had to go through it, too." It doesn't seem fair to emotionally hijack people "just because". I'm glad you (& my BIL) have decided to try to buck tradition and actually boost their confidence (when deserved, of course!) :-)

    ReplyDelete