Thursday, December 6, 2012

Baby steps

Speaking of baby steps, Ellison isn't taking any. Zilch. None. She moves at rocket speed crawling. I mean seriously, how does anything meant to walk on two legs move that fast on four? And she starting cruising* pretty early, like 9-10 months. But she seems quite content with this mode of ambulation and exerts minimal effort attempting to let go and stray from the very safe edge of the couch. I was contemplating her lack of bipedal ambulation yesterday as I gave her a bath, and I had an epiphany.

My kid is at a serious disadvantage for this whole walking thing. She is long and really, really skinny.
The other kid in her daycare class who's her age but already walking is short and stout (ie, normal baby), which gives him a lower center of gravity and puts him at a distinct advantage not to fall down and go boom crash. But then I remembered how her feet are giant (no joke, you need to see these things to understand fully) and should provide the perfect wide and stable base for her first trepidatious steps.

So it comes down to this. She just doesn't want to. I'm not worried; for crying out loud, she isn't even a full year old yet. Besides, she's totally beating that other kid at eating solid foods, napping, and the ever-important category of not crying. Take that.


*For those of you not in the know (as I was a few months ago), "cruising" is when a baby can walk around holding onto stuff but not independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment