Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world

Whew! Call Friday was insane-o, one of the busiest I can recall from my residency. I mean, when you admit new people before the bed is even cold from the last guy (transferred out, not died! come on, that's morbid), that's a mad crazy busy night. But I was in control the whole time, just like Sandra and Keanu were in control of that bus in Speed. Ha.
Remember how I just told you that the worst think that could happen in the unit is everybody coding and dying? Well, my second best accomplishment of the day (#1 - three joint taps yielding septic arthritis, woohoo!) was that I ran a successful code. By this I mean 1) we got his pulse back, which almost never happens and 2) I didn't hyperventilate. I did, however, accidentally call Nick when I was trying to reach my fellow in the midst of the action to update him. Poor Nick picked up his phone, and I just lambasted him. "Hey, just wanted to let you know Mr. X is coding. I've given 2 rounds of epi already and shocked him twice and..." It was a solid 30 seconds before he managed to interrupt me and say, "Beth, I can't help you." It actually took me a few seconds to realize whose voice it was. "Oh my gosh thought you were my fellow gotta go" (click). I hung up on him and called the correct person. My intern thought the whole thing was hilarious, and Nick is never gonna let me hear the end of it.
Tell you what. Makes me appreciate a lazy Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment