I'm not as young as I once was. I never was one for pulling all-nighters, but being awake all night agrees with me even less as my MICU month drags on. But the good news about my perpetual punch-drunk state is that it makes for great entertainment.
Sometime around 3am earlier this month, I decided that my intern and I should make a game of picking a Bon Jovi song to match each patient. Hi-lar-i-ous! For example, "You Give Love a Bad Name" (Shock to the heart, and you're to blame...) was just perfect for the guy in the corner who'd required DCCV (you know, paddles and yelling "clear!" and all that jazz) not once not twice but three times that day. Or how about this one? "Blaze of Glory" for a guy who was exsanguinating and had received 24 units of blood transfusions in the last 24 hours. (For all you math nerds out there, that's your entire blood volume three times over.) And when we couldn't think of anything more specific, "Livin' on a Prayer" worked for anyone.
When that got boring, I decided to play "Let's Annoy the Intern." If you don't watch Scrubs, let me explain. There is one episode where all the residents get a med student, and Elliot's is a lazy, spoiled, little rich boy. In one scene, he does a little song and dance to annoy her. It goes something like this. So while my intern was trying to write his notes, I sat beside him and "Wa-wah, wa-wa-wah"-ed until he laughed and started singing, too.
This game totally backfired on me, by the way, when my intern started dancing behind my attending on rounds, causing me to crack up and completely lose it during my patient presentation. Lucky for me my attending thought it was funny.
This game totally backfired on me, by the way, when my intern started dancing behind my attending on rounds, causing me to crack up and completely lose it during my patient presentation. Lucky for me my attending thought it was funny.
At least there's nothing wrong with me that 61 hours of extra sleep won't cure.
No comments:
Post a Comment