Do you like the new look? I found a great website for blog designs, Hot Bliggity Blog. I thought a new look would be apropos in celebration because this is my 100th post! Congrats to me. And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
I present for your reading pleasure the latest installment of the ongoing saga of Beth vs. Nick. No, no, I mean Beth AND Nick. Well, maybe versus. This particular issue is even funnier after we discovered at a recent trip to our friends' house that they have the exact same drama in their household. You see, Nick and I are both clean people, but we have different approaches, as outlined below.
Nick: What are you doing?
Me: Cleaning up.
Nick: Why are you doing that? I was gonna clean tomorrow.
Me: So? I'm off today, so I have time.
Nick: First of all, you shouldn't spend your day off cleaning.
Me: It's fine. The mess was starting to bug me.
Nick: I knew I shoulda cleaned up. I know how mess starts to bother you if you're the house for a whole day, and then you go crazy.
Me: I'm not going crazy; I'm just tidying up.
Nick: No, you're throwing stuff away.
Me: Yes, because it's junk.
Nick: How do you know that's junk?
Me: Because it's been wadded up sitting on the dresser for weeks.
Nick: It's been there for weeks because I was saving it.
Me: Then why don't you put it away?
Nick: (frustrated sigh)
The usual subsequent chain of events goes something like this. I move said wadded paper from sitting on dresser to posted on fridge and catch sight of other clutter on the kitchen table. I start to dispose of this newly discovered clutter in the proper receptacle, be that cabinet or drawer or wastebasket. While putting away a magazine in the magazine bin in the living room, I spot yet more clutter. I again get distracted and launch an assault on the new newly discovered pile o' clutter. And so on and so forth. Eventually I make my distracted way back to where I started, and all the clutter is annihilated. I feel better and sit down.
Nick's version of cleaning has much more to do with scrubbing and much less to do with tidiness. Every tile, mirror, and faucet in our house sparkles (complete with little twinkle of light and "ping" sparkly clean noise), I'll give him that. But you know how there's sex-linked inheritance of color blindness that's fairly common in men? My husband suffers from a lesser known deficiency, "clutter blindness." Good thing he has me.
We shall not talk about my desk. Anyone who's ever seen my desk - back in WF, my dorm, apartments, and even this house - knows it is my Achilles heel of clutteriness. And it will stay that way. If I were too perfect no one would like me, right?
w for the win
10 years ago
I love the "clutter blindness" term! Mike thinks I'm nuts when I run around the house doing the tidy-up thing. He will help clean if something is literally dirty, but guys really just don't get the concept of clutter!
ReplyDelete