I was consulted on a patient who is just visiting Houston. She lives in Chicago, so that's where her doctors and all her medical records are. I asked her doctor's name and phone number so I could contact him. Mind you, this is all in Spanish, which I speak (mostly) fluently still. Allow me to translate.
Me: And where does Dr. Smith work?
Patient: Cuconee Hospital.
Me: Cuconee?
Patient: Yes, Cuconee.
Me: Ooooook.
What?! Where the heck is Cuconee Hospital? I really want to ask how to spell it, but we tried spelling things earlier without much success. So I decide to stick to Rule #1 Fake it til you make it and head to Google for some help. Google doesn't know what to make of Cuconee Hospital either. It suggests lots of various spellings that lead to me places in Oklahoma, which is not Chicago. I even try it with a "K" and yet another different spelling I found in another resident's note, all to no avail.
Her doctor has a really common name, but I decide to go for broke and type in "Dr. Smith rheumatology Chicago." And guess what the first search result is?
Dr. Smith, Rheumatology, Cook County Hospital.
Oooooh! Cook County! Not Cuconee. Cook County - say it with a Spansh accent, and you'll get it.
Subtitles would sure be helpful sometimes.
PS I think I may write a strongly worded letter. Blogspot does not recognize "rheumatology" as a word and wants me to change it to "hematology." How narrow-minded.
w for the win
11 years ago
rheumatology? I think you me "steroid-ology." Right?
ReplyDelete