How I miss knowing and being known. Gone are the days where I could answer a page, "Hey, it's Beth," and the person on the other end of the phone knew who it was and shot straight with me. Now it's more like this...
Me: Hi, this is Beth Scholz with rheumatology.
Other person: Huh?
Me: Beth Scholz, The rheum fellow.
Other person: Uhhh...
Me: I was paged? I'm the rheum fellow.
Other person: Oh! (the surprised kind) OK. Um, yeah, we have a consult. [Insert long, rambling, boring medical story here.]
Me: OK, be there soon. Sigh, the sad kind.
Back where I come from, it would have gone something like this...
Me: Hey, it's Beth.
Other person: Hey, Beth! I've got that lady with [short but still boring medical story]. Remember her? You actually admitted her three times last year.
Me: Mm, Jane Smith, right?
Other person: Yeah, yeah. That's the one
Me: Ug, back with another UTI?
Other person: But this time she also has [more boring medical data], so we're worried about lupus. The [lots of boring rheum tests] are pending. And by the way, have you baked anything lately?
Me: OK, be there soon. And yes, there's cookies in the library!
But seriously, there's lots of good stuff down here. I just find myself a bit surprised by how much I miss my Vandy peeps. Guess it maybe felt a bit more like home that I thought.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment