Monday, June 16, 2014

A day late and a nickel short

Well, yesterday was Father's Day. Elle and I made Nick cookies, and Archer and I (by which I really mean just "I") bought him the tool belt he's been asking for. Other than that, it was the average Sunday with laundry and chores and whatnot. But then I checked FB on my phone last night, and everyone else was posting about how wonderful their dads and their husbands (as dads) are. And I got social media-induced guilt. So here, in a cyber-nutshell, is an ode to 1) my dad 2) Nick, who is not my dad.

My father...
Taught me that no work is ever below you. The best doctors were once janitors.
Showed me by his example that anything worth doing is worth doing well, by which we mean better than everybody else.
Never told me math was hard or that I shouldn't like science. Or that I had to like it, which is probably why I do like it.
Let me think he was letting me do things and learn them on my own.
Never played golf on the weekend. We watched Godzilla marathons together instead.
Was never surprised (like I was) when I succeeded because he always knew I'd do well.
Told me I was just like him and that my smart mouth would get me in trouble one day. I didn't believe him then, but I should have.
Liked Nick right off the bat.
Gave me a lot of good advice that I ignored at the time because I knew everything, and I'll say the same things to Ellison and Archer even though I know they'll do the same.
Would have kept telling me I should have been a dermatologist but would secretly have been very proud that I chose rheum, just like him.
Would have adored Ellison and Archer and spoiled them oh so rotten. But stories and old photos will just have to do.

Nick...
Makes our babies laugh like nobody else.
Means it when he says something. Good or bad.
Has eaten the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day for years now, which gives me hope that he won't get tired of me, either.
Has as much trouble as I do saying the words "daughter", "son", and "children" because they make him sound like a dad dad.
Is going grey like Brett Favre, just like I asked him to do a long time ago.
Sings silly songs to Elle in the bathtub and thinks I can't hear him.
Falls asleep on the couch with Archer on his chest, and it's heart-meltingly cute.
Keeps track of the money so I don't have to.
May not be allowed to talk to Elle between the ages of 13-19 because he will only aggravate the situation.
Can tell when I (or Ellison) is on an emotional ledge and somehow pulls tenderness out of his man's man heart just when we need it.
Does his best every single day to make me happy, even if it's only so he won't have to feel guilty spending time watching Supernatural or playing Xbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment