Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Catching up

After a brief hiatus, I think I'm caught up enough on life in general (and have enough internet-appropriate stories) to come back to the blog-osphere. No excuses or explanations here. Just a story.

I had Ellison and Charlotte to myself the other day. I don't remember why, but I did. And being a good mommy/auntie, I decided to take them in the yard to splash around in the kiddie pool. Well, it needed to be cleaned, so I let them and the dogs run around a bit while I sprayed and scrubbed. Remember, we're all wearing our swimsuits for this.

E: [yelling from across the yard, pointing to the gate] Mommy, Sharla go oh dare. {Mommy, Charlotte's going over there!}
Me: Oh, thanks, sweet pea. [I pull Charlotte away from the gate and plop her back in the yard, where I can see her.] You are a runner, Charlotte. First you try to open the front door. Then you lock me out of the garage. And now the gate. Am I really that bad?
C: Yaa, daa. Oooh. {I remain uncertain what language this is}

I then dash inside to grab the bug spray from the play room since West Nile is real here in Houston. About 4 seconds later I return to the yard and put the girls in the now clean and full pool.

Wait a minute... Where are the dogs?!

Oh, right. They're gone. Through the gate that Charlotte apparently not only walked up to but actually opened.

I run inside to fling on tennis shoes and grab 3 leashes and a box of animal crackers. Any port in a storm, people. I know I can't leave the girls alone, but I figure I can run up and down 2 house lengths and probably still hear them scream if tragedy strikes. So I grab them, dripping wet, and plop them in the living room. I can only imagine the look on my face as I warn E to please stay in the living room and that I'll be right back.

I then run, open throttle, out the front door, yelling their names like a crazed maniac. No luck. I hit my 2 house length tether and turn around to tear in the other direction, down the side street.

Ha! I spy a flash of lolloping black and white fur a few houses down. I pretty much fling myself down the street, hoping the others are nearby.

And remember how I'm in my swimsuit? Screaming like an idiot?

And we wonder why all the neighbors are moving out.

And just so you know, all 3 dogs miraculously came when called, let me put the leashes on and went straight home. Where E  was standing in pretty much the exact same spot I'd left her. And when you visualize this story in your head, I'd appreciate it if you could substitute any of the Baywatch characters for me for the part where I'm running like a lunatic down the street in my bikini. Thank you for your consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment