Nick and I watch frequently watch movies as a "date night" activity because that's what boring, old, married, couples do. And we usually take turns picking the flick because we have different tastes. Guess that's just what happens when a standard-issue American man's man and a girly girl spend forever together. The conversation usually goes something like this.
Nick: You should pick out a movie.
Me: No, you pick. It's your turn.
Nick: I know. That's why you should pick. So it will be something you like, too.
Me: How about you pick three, and then I'll pick from those?
Nick: (rummage, rummage, rummage) OK. Last of the Mohicans. No Country for Old Men. Star Wars.
Me: Ugh. You always say Last of the Mohicans. It's so boring. I fall asleep every time.
Nick: But you should like it. There's a love story.
Me: No, there's a girl. That's not a love story.
Nick: But the whole premise is that this guy (points to the cover) loves this girl (again points to the cover) and fights to save her from the evil Indians. I mean Native Americans.
Me: Which involves lots of fighting and chopping. No love story.
Nick: So I suppose you'd rather watch Enchanted.
Me: Yes.
Nick: Because that's so exciting for me.
Me: But there's some funny parts. You laugh.
Nick: I laugh at them because they're dumb, not because they're funny. Not like the way they want me to laugh at them.
You see, Nick's go-to argument is to convince me there's going to be even the tiniest sliver of happy-ending romance, and I go straight for the comedic "gonna-make-you-laugh" jugular. And we both know we're lying, but we humor each other. Like today, when Nick picked Tron for us to see at the theater.
Me: What movie are we going to see?
Nick: Tron.
Me: (crinkle the nose and raise the eyebrows) That's the one you wanna see?
Nick. Yup. I bet there's a love story. Muh-wahahahahahaaa!
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment