Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's make a deal

So I'm back on Team Failure. The hours are long, and you wouldn't believe some of this stuff if I told you. But I can't tell you. Because of HIPAA. But let's not dwell on that. Let's tell you a story that won't get my license revoked. I called in a vascular surgery consult overnight on call, and because I happen to know the vascular intern in my non-hospital life, he had to be nicer to me than usually occurs betwixt medicine and surgery in the wee small hours. So we texted back and forth about my guy throughout the night, and he asked for some help with blood pressure meds on one of his guys. My guy really needed an operation and (believe it or not) had no other medical problems for which he could possibly be shunned by a surgeon. So I did the unthinkable and decided to attempt a reverse dump - sending a patient to surgery. My attending said I'd never make it happen.
Ring, ring.
Intern: Hey, Beth.
Me: Hey. So my guy's doing great, except that he needs that giant aneurysm fixed.
Intern: Yup.
Me: I mean, BP's great, heart rate's running 60 to 65, and he's the only 74-year-old man in the world with no other medical problems.
Intern: Yup.
Me: So, how'd you feel about taking him on your service?
Intern: (Pause) Yeah, we'll take him. As a trade. You take that other guy.
Me: Done. (Click) Hey, Dr. D - they took him!
Dr. D: Impressive.

You see, "that other guy" is the one with the jacked up BP who I'd been helping with overnight. My fellow had been seeing him as a consult and had told me he wanted to offer to take him onto my service this coming week. But the intern didn't know that - he thought he'd dumped a trainwreck on me. I, on the other hand, felt like I got something for nothing since I was gonna end up with that other guy anyway. We made the exchange the next morning. And you know what? All those changes I made on call had taken effect, and my new guy looked awesome. And I quote, "Better than I've felt in ten years." So I discharged him the same day. And my original guy? Still sittin' there. With a giant aneurysm.
May this day go down in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment