Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Smoke gets in my eyes

My darling husband turns 32 years old today. Whew, that is a LOT of birthday candles. I think he's had a good birthday. I mean, he did get a fabulous present from yours truly. I think I've already told the following story to everyone who ever reads this blog, but humor me here.
I had the amazingly, wonderfully, brilliantly brilliant idea to get Nick a meat smoker for his birthday. I mean, the boys loves his grill like Izzy loves a squeaky ball; they just can't get enough. So what would be better than a meat smoker? Perfect. So I did my research and picked out a reasonably priced yet sufficiently high-quality model, which was scheduled to arrive August 11. I know, I lack the foresight I possessed prior to residency. Sue me. No, wait, please don't sue me. My malpractice can't handle it. Anyhoo...
I talked to Nick last Saturday morning when I was in Dallas rollin' with my girls. He said, "I don't know if I should tell you this but I will." (Me, silent) "I think my birthday present came yesterday because there was a big box on the front porch." (Me, still silent) "And it wasn't inside another box." Bummer! "But I like it a lot and I'm really excited to use it." Slightly less of a bummer. But still, I wanted to see his reaction
Nick hammered and screwed and finagled last night (picture cartoon cloud of dust with just arms and legs sticking out) and got it assembled. Then he went through all the trouble of seasoning it way too early this morning so he could cook something in it for his birthday dinner tonight. Please don't judge me for letting my husband cook his own birthday dinner. He wanted to. Mesquite smoked pulled pork. Mmm, mmm, good. With homemade barbecue sauce. Double mmm, mmm, good. I made mac 'n' cheese along with grilled bacon-wrapped asparagus. Could it get any better? Why yes, it could. Chocolate cake with 32 sparkler candles on top.
Happy birthday, honey. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment