Tuesday morning Mike accompanied me on my morning commute through primo "rush hour." The quotation marks here indicate sarcasm; if you've seen both Houston and Nashville traffic you'd understand. (The whole reason for them to come was for Mike to have a second look day, kinda like a follow-up interview, with the neonatology department to help him decide where to do his fellowship. ) We spent that afternoon completing our driving tour of the city and then tried a new restaurant called Burger Up. Mmm, it was yuhm-my. The regular, turkey, quinoa, and salmon burgers all got two enthusiastic thumbs up from our entourage, but the highlight of the experience was (yes, folks, this really exists) the Krispy Kreme doughnut bread pudding. We then funnelled our sugar high energy into a rousing game of Apples to Apples that really came down to a battle of the sexes in which {Mike and Nick} and {Kristen and I} tried to figure out and pick each others' cards just so they wouldn't win.
Wednesday was a full work day for me, so the others ate breakfast at the Loveless Cafe without me. Nick doesn't know it, but we're in a fight because he didn't bring me any biscuits. And the sky literally rained on my parade, so we didn't go to the lighted Chihuly glass exhibit at Cheekwood Garden like I'd planned. And dinner was not quite the glorious success for which I'd hoped, either. In summary, homemade sweet potato gnocchi are OK but not good enough to justify the hours of prep time. And how did I not know about Mike's white food rule?!** But I think he found the chocolate mint ice cream pie tasty enough to compensate for the spinach dip and ricotta-filled zucchini.
Sadly, Mike and Kristen are now back in Houston, but probably not for long. How sad will it be if/when our moving trucks pass each other on I-40, going opposite directions between Houston and Nashville! Now we just have to start convincing them to buy our house.
**He won't eat white foods. At all. White sauce, cream cheese, sour cream, ricotta, etc. Can you imagine life without cream cheese?!
No comments:
Post a Comment