Monday, July 2, 2012

Tongue-tied

I got a call for assistance with management of the dinkiest of all autoimmune diseases, which causes dry mouth and eyes. Annoying, yes. Dangerous, not at all. We don't even give steroids.

Resident: Hi, I'm calling a consult for... Um, I know I'm gonna say this wrong.
Me: OK, what is it?
Resident: Um, Sijigron syndrome.
Me: You mean Sjogren's? [say show-grins]
Resident: Yeah, that. We want to know if that could be causing her high potassium.
Me: Well, I don't think so. Sjogren's never really causes high potassium. Occasionally low, but not high. (A Google search could have told you that.)
Resident: OK, well, we still want you to come by and comment on her Sijistigron syndrome.

Can I make a rule where you can't consult me unless you can pronounce the disease? It would save me a lot of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment