I have come to a realization. I know you're dying to know what it is, so I'll tell you.
I don't enjoy sewing.
I really want to, but I just don't.
I want to be that girl who whips up cute, ruffly aprons and the mom who cranks out her kids' Halloween costumes every year. But I never will be. Because I don't like sewing.
As I observed at our impromptu Pearland girls' craft fest* last night, I find sewing both tedious and unforgiving. Some say the same about baking, but the organic chemistry of it all makes sense in my head. I can predict the wiley moves of my flour and eggs and butter (oh my!), but sewing is all physics and geometry to me. And I hate physics and geometry. There's no chance for salvage in sewing. It's a start-over or a throw-away kind of deal.
I'd originally planned on using this post to show off pictures of Elle's new curtains, but me and my sewing machine are taking some time apart to cool down after after much wailing and gnashing of teeth (not just on my end) because that devil machine doesn't really like heavy-duty thread and keeps jamming in protest. (It's definitely not operator error. Just isn't. Can't be.)
But I'm close to finishing. Sew, sew close. Just need to finish the top seam across the pink ribbon tabs of the second panel. Don't give up hope; pictures still to come. Once I finish that seam and sweet-talk Nick into installing the curtain rod. So maybe by this time next year. :)
*The husbands came over here to watch "The Walking Dead," so I invited myself elsewhere. We had a grand time with chocolate caramel cookies, brownies, crochet, and sewing.
w for the win
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment