Saturday, September 4, 2010

Miscellaneous, etc, and so forth

I really should know better by now than to blog post-call. But I think the sleep deprivation disinhibits my creativity, and the words just flow more better. So please pardon the poor grammar. And typos. And the rambling. Especially the rambling.
Call last night was icky. First a geography lesson. Round Wing:Vanderbilt Hospital :: Puerto Rico:USA. If you chose b) far, far away but still technically all in the family, you are correct! I spent all night running back and forth to and from the Round Wing babysitting a sick, sick dude who just kept getting sicker no matter what I did. I made a valiant effort for 17 hours, but I finally had to cave and send him to the MICU after post-call rounds. Bleh. The good news is that no one else I talked to had any idea what was going on with him either, which is also the bad news. Guess we'll see how things shake out (or shook out? see, I really need to get more sleep) tomorrow morning.
Speaking of nothing in particular, I have the world's tallest intern. No, for real. At 6'9", Will most literally towers over me. Last year, I thought my first ever intern Joe (6'1") was really tall. Then Scott the intern was taller. Then Eric the intern was taller than that. Then Brad the intern was taller still. But I can't imagine anyone beating Will. If I find such an intern, I'm submitting him to Ripley's Believe it or Not.
Moving on. After my bleh night, I wanted to bake something. I've been jonesing for cupcakes lately. Not to be confused with Jonesy, see exhibit A:
So anyway, I made super tasty apple almond streusel cupcakes for my first day with the new team last week. And I decided to give white mountain cupcakes a whirl today. Bet you can't guess the etiology (there I go using medical words in normal conversation - why don't I just go to sleep?!) of the name. See exhibit B:

The 7-minute merengue-ish frosting is a nice contrast to the chocolate. And Nick approves, too. I've decided I'm going to bake my way through Elinor Klivans Cupcakes! cookbook. A la Julie and Julia, minus the snooty French words. Sticky fig cupcakes may be next. Yum, huh?
Speaking of yum, Nick tried his hand at hickory-smoked spare ribs today. Ohhhh myyyyy gooooodnessss. Sooooo goooood!!! Wish we had smell-o-vision because it was mouth-watering.
OK. I admit defeat. Must sleep. Buenas noches, mis amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment