I was supposed to be at work by 7:30am today. The alarm rang at 5:45am. I snoozed. I caught it at 5:49am and reset it for 6:00am but decided to get out of bed at 5:52am. Shower, breakfast, make-up, hair. I put on a dress and my jewelry. Then I vacillated, wondering if a different shirt would better complement my new Cole Haans. But I decided to just leave and arrive early. I pulled out at 6:43am.
Leaving my neighborhood, I saw a van on the side of the road with smoke rising from the hood that was wrapped around a tree. A young man was in the driver seat, trying to speak to 911 on his cell phone, clearly very disoriented. I approached, offering help, and stretched to reach inside for his phone. I spoke to the 911 operator, giving various details... street name, no I didn't witness it, just one victim. I couldn't examine his injuries since trees pinned the driver's door closed, but he did give me some pertinent medical information. He lost consciousness moments before the ambulance pulled up. After briefing the EMT on the brief history and survey I'd accomplished, I handed his cell phone to the cop and drove shakily into work.
Vandy is the only trauma center in the city, so I scanned the ER roster after rounds and found the trauma bay attending who'd seen him. Turns out he has a bit of internal bleeding and non-operative fractures but nothing too serious. He's gonna be fine. Whew. I even got to introduce myself to his very grateful parents.
Timing is everything, huh? If I'd changed my outfit, I might have arrived after he'd passed out. If I'd not hit snooze, I might have passed the scene before he wrecked. Moral of the story: God is in the details every second of the day.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment