I am pleased to announce my return to the Volunteer State yesterday evening. My second week of vacation promises the luxury of trying lots of new recipes. My first culinary foray this week is beef tenderloin. Sadly, tonight's herb-encrusted main dish was tasty but overall not blog-worthy. Why am I blogging it about it then, huh?
I told you that story to tell you this one, which involves three waggily tails. I saved the meat trimmings and cooked them up unseasoned for the dogs. They thought it better than Christmas when three plates of beefy goodness descended from Heaven onto the kitchen floor. We strategically spaced them out to avoid bickering about whose share was bigger, etc. Dallas and Jonesy pretty much inhaled theirs and then licked the plates clean. Izzy, however, was a bit more hesitant. At first she just stared at me, like this must be a trick. Remember, she is the rule-follower of our little pack, and I think she couldn't get over eating off a plate when she knows she isn't supposed to take food off plates. This was a moral dilemma that never even occurred to Dallas or Jonesy, but Izzy was torn. I coaxed her a bit, and she finally laid down (she always eats laying on the floor) and took a bite, staring at me the whole time. She then proceeded to transfer each piece to the floor before chewing (actually chewing) each morsel. I've never seen a dog savor anything like that before. I wish I had pictures, but my hands were ocupado holding the other two back; they really wanted to help Izzy with her dinner because they knew there would be no dessert until she finished.
Dessert, you say? Why yes, doggie dessert. There exists in this world a phenomenon called Frosty Paws, which is ice cream for canines. We splurged on a box once and bust it out for special occasions. My vacation, Nick's new job, and cheap tenderloin qualify as a special occasion. I divided the last of the Frosty Paws as evenly as I could and handed each pup his lot. It's so funny to watch them; they lick and lick and lick, try and chew but it's too cold, lick, lick, lick, chew some more. And on and on, the whole time watching the other two to see how they're progressing. By the way, Izzy has no qualms about eating her Frosty Paws. Then there is much licking of the floor. And wagging of tails. And that's my story.
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment