ca-pac-i-ty [ku-pas-i-tee]: noun, in a medical legal sense refers to ability of a person to understand risks and benefits and make independent decisions based on those risks and benefits
Some days I have capacity. The other day I did a Pap smear for an annual well-woman clinic visit. The procedure went smoothly as always, so I removed the speculum and told my patient to push back and sit up. Still business as usual. I stepped to the other side of the curtain and gave my spiel about results within a week or so, blah, blah. Second nature. Then I notice something out of the ordinary about my ponytail holder. You detail-oriented people out there may remember that I religiously keep 2 ponytail holders on my left wrist for pulling my hair back whenever wherever. Two because one isn't strong enough since I like the metal-free no-pull do-hickies. But getting to the point... I notice I now have but one lonely ponytail holder on my wrist. What has happened to the other? Well, faithful readers, as I absent-mindedly pulled my left glove off inside-out with my right thumb, I caught the unsuspecting band and trapped it inside the glove, touching the side involved in aforementioned Pap smear. Gross! I had a decision to make. I could salvage the ponytail holder, wash it off, and walk around all day with phantom speculum lube in my hair, or I could cut my losses and realize that while I'm not rich I darn sure have enough money to buy a new ponytail holder. In fact, I already have a whole pack of them at home. I unceremoniously dropped the whole wad in the trash and moved on. Like I said, some days I have capacity.
Some days I don't. Like today, when I decided to go on an adventure in rutabaga. I found a recipe for a veggie soup involving parsnips, turnips, potatoes, and rutabaga. I saved the rutabaga for last on my cutting board, working up the courage to stare it down. Megan had even just warned me that she had to google how to chop a rutabaga, and she's at least as good as (probably a better) cook than I am. But I braved it on my own. All my fingers are intact, but that is one unevenly chopped rutabaga. And I'm about to reap the consequences of eating two pieces of candy and licking the maple-pecan (cup)cake spatula immediately before doing cardio. I'll be regretting that one in about 15 minutes, eh?
So how are you doing today, cyber friends? Is it a capacity day or no?
w for the win
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment