Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Am I smarter than a 5th grader?

Today's installment comes complete with illustrations for your viewing pleasure.
Bachlorettedom (bachlorette-hood? state of bachlorette-ism?) has reduced my high-falutin' culinary taste to pizza rolls and chocolate milk for dinner.
While I enjoy these simple pleasure as much as the next gal, I decided to try a cheesecake from my Williams Sonoma Desserts cookbook in an attempt to save myself from myself. I quickly skimmed the recipe to ensure I had all the key ingredients.


I started with the graham cracker-almond crust. Yum. Remove from oven and cool completely. Check. Next I mixed and scraped and mixed some more.

Then I checked the recipe to see for how long my deeelicious cheesecake should bake. Well, really cheesecake bars; I halved the recipe since it's just me, and who's ever heard of baking half a cheesecake in a springform pan? Incidentally, an 8"x8" square pan works nicely. Suddenly, much to my chagrin, I realized something, something very, very important.
.
.
.
This is a no-bake cheesecake. Hmm, I kinda wondered why there were no eggs.
.
.
.
And that, friends, is why your elementary school teachers always told you to read all the way through the directions before starting your assignment.


But fear not! My story does have a happy ending. After waiting a grueling 8 hours or overnight (yeah, that's cookbook humor), I discovered that despite lacking the signature cheesecake texture, my cheesecake bars are cool, creamy, and oh-so tasty in their own right.

I promise I'm more careful with procedures at work. Really. No, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment