Hey, guess what? I'm back in the MICU, that's what. But just for the five days from now until Christmas. Here's a couple anecdotes from my first night back on call.
1) At Vandy, everybody's badge is color-coded so you can tell by lookin' what he/she is/does. And basically, the darker your badge, the more important you are. For instance, medical student badges are white. Resident badges are light green. Attending badges are dark green. So we often make comments based on badge color. Like when a situation gets sticky with a consulting service, and you just need the attendings to talk directly to each other. "This needs to be a dark green conversation." But that isn't the point. I work myself into a conniption fit when someone whose badge is darker than mine tries to boss me against my better judgment. Which of course happened today, but I can't do much about it other than aforementioned blood-boiling. I shall not air my grievances in wide open cyberspaces, but be it known in these wee small hours that I'm huffy about it.
2) This is my first night on call with my new intern. I went to the cafeteria for a tasty beverage earlier and offered to grab him something. He handed me his badge (because just like in college your ID = $$$) and requested a Sprite. When I went to pay, the cashier didn't understand I wanted to pay for the diet Dr. Pepper with my card and the Sprite with another card.
Her: "Uh, you don't want them on the same card?"
Me: "No. We're not that close yet, me and my intern."
Her: "Oh, I get it now."
Me: "Yep. Maybe by breakfast we'll be there, and I'll buy his coffee."
All the while, the nurse behind me in line is cracking up, which only serves to contribute to my illusion that I am in fact funny.
Night-night!
w for the win
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment