Apparently I leave quite a wake. Believe it or not, the following conversation is actually factually true.
The cast:
Me: Well, me
R2: other resident
Dr. A: other resident's VA (veteran's i.e. government hospital) clinic attending
mVA: unidentified VA staff, presumable in the MICU (incidentally, MVA is also the standard abbreviation for motor vehicle accident, most often seen on the surgery wards)
R2: Hey, Beth, were you just in the VA MICU?
Me: Yeah, why?
R2: Well, Dr. A came to clinic after a meeting today and told me this story. And I just knew it had to be about you.
Me: Uh-oooohhhh...
R2: No, you're gonna get a kick out of it.
Me: Uuuuhhh, guess we'll see.
R2: Dr. A said there was some VA person at the meeting complaining about something.
(And he quoth...)
mVA: I was in the MICU the other day, and I saw this tall, blond girl walking around in heels. And I just don't think that's appropriate. She can't do her job wearing high heels. What if she had to run to a code or something? She wouldn't be able to!
Dr. A: Well, I don't wear high heels myself, but I don't think it's my place to tell someone else they can't do their job wearing them.
Dr. A: (later, to R2) I just think that was so dumb.
R2: Um, was it a resident she was talking about?
Dr. A: Yes, it was.
R2: Ha! I totally know who that is! There's not many tall blonds in our program, and I can only think of one who would wear heels in the MICU!
(back to the present)
R2: So, you were pre-call** that day, right?
Me: Yes, and I was also doing a med student lecture, so I had to look nice! And who does she think she is, saying I can't wear heels! She's just jealous because I dress nicer than her! (And on, and on, and on)
R2: Yeah, I know.
Me: Hmph!
The best part? Another resident approached me later in the day and told me the exact same story! Apparently word gets around. But you know what? I'm proud to be a revolutionary in the war for equal rights for fashionable doctors.
**"pre-call" in the MICU means the day before you are on call; duties on this day's shift are limited to pushing the COW (computer on wheels) on rounds, typing orders, and making phone calls. Not exactly high risk for blood and body fluid exposure. And by the way, I can totally run in heels to codes. I've done so many a time.
w for the win
11 years ago
We are not allowed to call our computers on wheels "COWs" because our hospital is afraid the mothers may mistake that we are referring to them as cows. Therefore, they are work stations on wheels. WOWs!
ReplyDelete