In response to the maddening success of "Battle of the sexes," I'm starting a new series outlining the many reasons why Tennessee is not for me.
Reason #12: Tennesseans don't understand the difference between "friendly" and "helpful."
I'll now provide an illustrative story.
I went to the post office by campus today to purchase a money order. (The flaws and shortcomings of the post office are not Tennessee's fault; however, this story is not about apathy, which is the post office's defining characteristic.) With that said, let's move on.
I know that you can't buy a money order with a credit card, but I believe cash or check is acceptable. I therefore start writing a check after I tell the clerk the amount. The clerk watches me fill out my check, and offers "Postmaster" when I pause at the "pay to the order of" line. Friendly, no? Seemingly helpful even? I complete me check.
The clerk then says (I kid you not), "You know, you can't use a check to pay for a money order."
And there you have it. Friendly is not the same as helpful. There are no words. I simply stare.
"You need cash." Pause. "But we also take credit cards now!" Another pause. "But you can't use those to pay for a money order either."
Still no words. I continue to stare. I dig some bills from my purse, pay the clerk, and move on.
w for the win
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment